As Strikers Lacrosse heads into its second year in 2016, the program continues to grow and evolve. Bea Cope, the Founder of Strikers Lacrosse and Lacrosse Development Director, and her family will be moving to Chevy Chase, Maryland in June. She leaves the Strikers Lacrosse membership with the following message:
"I am extremely proud of the success our lacrosse program has had over the past year and have always strived for the absolute best for our players and community. My only goal in starting a lacrosse program for girls in the Richmond area was to provide more opportunities for young women to play lacrosse at a high level and expose them to some of the best coaches in women's lacrosse. Success is not built solely on individual achievement, but on the achievement of the group as a whole. It has always been important to me to build a program grounded in development and great fundamentals that also focuses on building a team consisting of great athletes, great teammates, and great leaders. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to work with such wonderful people and especially grateful for all of the support from the Richmond Strikers and our players, their families, the Richmond community, and the women's lacrosse community.”
Until June, Bea will continue coaching the 2021 team, helping with middle school programming, and working closely with Courtney and Kendall. Courtney Swan will remain the Director of Strikers Lacrosse, and Kendall Adkin, Brooke Ireland, and Heather Strausburg will remain in their roles with the program, as well.
Bea has been a mainstay in the Richmond lacrosse community over the past few years, and her accomplishments include:
- Started Rapids Lacrosse in the summer of 2013
- Started Richmond Strikers Lacrosse in November 2014
- Brought top-tier lacrosse camps and clinics to Richmond with exposure to some of the best coaches/players in the women's lacrosse game, including US National Team members
- Served on the Richmond Chapter of US Lacrosse as Vice President and helped to organize the Central Virginia Rec League for girls lacrosse (created Fall 2015).
- Helped start an indoor box league with PAL and the Randolph-Macon College women's lacrosse team in 2014 at SCOR that has grown to offer league play for 2nd-8th graders
- Coached recreation lacrosse for Geronimo
- Founded and served as first Director of Lacrosse (Nov. 2014-Sept. 2015) and Lacrosse Development Director for Richmond Strikers Lacrosse, which now serves girls lacrosse players from 3rd-12th grade
- Started a sister exchange program with the Harlem Lacrosse BCLL team, in which Strikers players not only hosted the BCLL team, but also fundraised and collected equipment and lacrosse apparel for their teams
- Coaches part-time at The Collegiate School
“The Richmond Strikers thank Bea for the creation of Strikers Lacrosse. She has made an incredible impact on the players and the game,” stated Richmond Strikers Executive Director Jay Howell. "Bea will be missed—her passion, energy, and focus on the growth of girls lacrosse is unmatched. Bea truly loves the players and only wants the best for them. Even from afar, she will continue to help the Strikers players progress and continue in their development of a true love of the game."